Thursday, September 18, 2014

I'm a Feminist Too

I just discovered Laci Green. The Internet is so vast. We see things flying around on Facebook and have this illusion that we're "seeing what's going on" in the world. The fact that we have shared online experiences tricks us into thinking that we've experienced everything that's going on when in fact, we're just partying in the same room while a whole world is outside. It's both the benefit and the detriment of social media. While we can more easily share ideas and rally behind a single action, we can also more easily ignore and miss other ideas and fail to put our attention where it might be more useful.

So back to Laci Green. She is doing what I would be doing if the technology existed when I was her age. It's the reason I started this little blog. I started my senior thesis in college, twenty years ago (!), with the same sentence that she starts this video with. In essence, my name is and I'm a feminist. Because it was then and still is a "dirty" word. I'm sickened by the comments that people have made on the YouTube page. Hateful, violent things presented as some kind of logical argument by people who probably consider themselves to be normal and nice. People who use those mouths and hands to love people and do jobs and drive cars. But in the privacy of their home, they virulently defend a social system that oppresses men and women and is the main cause of social inequality.

All of the the ills of the world -- war, slavery, poverty among them -- are the result of these dichotomies that force men to fight instead of talk and women to fuck instead of lead. Excuse my language but clearly the world is not right and I'm glad that Laci Green has the guts to say it. As many times as it needs to get said!

No comments:

Post a Comment