Sunday, October 12, 2014

Bias That Blinds Us

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area looking for a job. I lived here back in 2008 after being hired by eBay for what promised to be the coolest job, combining my love and experience in filmmaking and my talents and experience in marketing. The job didn't pan out and I left. I wish I'd somehow persevered in this dream idea but there's something about not fitting into a box, not doing a job that has a title or not calling yourself one thing or another, that can be debilitating.

The human brain wants to categorize things. It's how we make sense of the world and it's what makes us smart. But it can also make us blind. Google made a video about this bias and how it affects the workplace and especially innovation but I think it applies to all areas of our life. How many of us are shut out because we can't be seen? And what or who are we shutting out because of our own biases? Even more important, what about ourselves are we denying because it doesn't fit? Wouldn't the world be a richer, more diverse and interesting place if we could keep our minds open?

No comments:

Post a Comment